Laser Hair Removal Post-Treatment Chicago
Patients who are NOT candidates for this treatment
- If you are pregnant or nursing
- If you have an active cold sore/fever blister
- If you are tan at the time of treatment as this will increase side effects and reduce efficacy
- * If you are currently on Accutane and having treatment on your face. Treatment can be done 6 months post stopping Accutane.
4 Weeks before treatment:
Stop tweezing, waxing, and/or electrolysis to the area being treated. Shaving or depilatory creams can be used.
Stop tanning (outside and tanning beds), as this will increase chances of adverse effects such as hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation, blisters and scars. Tanned skin will also decrease the efficacy of the laser treatment.
It is crucial that an SPF of 30 or higher with zinc oxide is worn on the treated area if a patient is going outside at any time throughout the duration of treatment. We will not treat sun burned skin.
2 Weeks before treatment:
Stop self tanners and remember an SPF of 30 or higher with zinc oxide must be worn if you are outside on the area being treated and through the duration of treatment.
Certain antibiotics, such as Tetracycline or Doxycycline, can make a patient photosensitive. Please advise the staff if you are taking any antibiotics. Treatments can usually be performed 2 weeks AFTER completion of an antibiotic.
1 Week before treatment:
All skin irritants must be stopped (glycolic/ salicylic acids, benzoyl peroxide, retinol products such as Retin-A, Tazorac, Differin, Triluma, vitamin C or Nair) on the area being treated.
Day Before Treatment:
Please let the staff know if you have a history of cold sores/fever blisters PRIOR to treatment, so an antiviral medication can be prescribed. Treatment can not be done if you have an active cold sore or skin infection and will be rescheduled.
Shave the area that is going to be treated. There will be an additional charge of $25.00 if the staff shaves the area.
Day of Treatment:
If a consultation has not been done prior to your treatment, the area being treated will need to still be shaved showing minimal outgrowth so proper evaluation can be done to determine color, density of hair, and location.
Do not wear any make-up, lotion, perfume, or deodorant on the area being treated.
Patients can take Tylenol (acetaminophen) prior to their treatment to reduce discomfort of the treatment ( it feels like a rubber-band snapping on the skin)
Taking aspirin or high dosages of ibuprofen is prohibited due to their blood thinning effect resulting in swelling, bruising, and redness.
A patient may choose to use a topical numbing (anesthetic) cream to apply to the area being treated. A thin layer with an occlusive covering (saran wrap) 60 minutes prior to treatment is advised to reduce the discomfort associated with the treatment. The treatment feels like a rubber band snapping on the skin. Please purchase the topical anesthetic PRIOR to treatment from our staff. Instructions will be given to the patient at the time of purchase to ensure proper application.
If you are tan, we will NOT provide treatment due to increased risk of side effects and decrease in efficacy.
The hair will still be present immediately following a treatment. It can take approximately 2 weeks for the hair to shed. Patients can shave in between treatments. Do not wax or tweeze treated areas during course of treatment.
It is normal for the area treated to have redness and swelling. An ice pack can be applied on the area to reduce swelling and discomfort.
- A non-exfoliant cleaner can be used the day of treatment. If blistering occurs, a topical antibiotic cream (Polysporin) can be applied twice daily without a bandage. If needed, a non-stick bandage (Tefla) can be used.
- All skin irritants (glycolic/ salicylic acids, benzoyl peroxide, retinol products, vitamin C, or Nair) can be resumed 2 days post treatment.
- If a scab develops do not scratch or pick the area. They will fall off on their own.
- If skin irritation develops, avoid hot tubs, saunas, exercise, massage, and tight clothing until it subsides.
- An SPF 30 or higher with zinc oxide MUST be worn daily during the course of treatment to the area being treated.
- Sunless tanning can be resumed anytime after treatment, however, it must be avoided TWO weeks prior to next treatment.