Acne Post-Treatment Chicago
Patients who are NOT candidates for this treatment
- A patient who is pregnant or nursing.
- A patient who is on Accutane. Treatment can be done 6 months post the patient’s last treatment of Accutane.
- A patient who has an active cold sore/fever blister or skin infection.
2 Weeks before treatment:
Stop using self-tanners.
1 Week before treatment:
Avoid aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs (Advil, Motrin, Aleve) to minimize bruising.
Please advise the staff if you are taking antibiotics such as Tetracycline, Doxycycline, or Minocycline. Certain antibiotics increase sensitivity to light and treatment may not be able to be performed until 2 weeks after completion of antibiotics.
Stop topical skin irritants (glycolic/ salicylic acids, benzoyl peroxide, retinol products such as Retin A, Tazorac, Triluma and Differin).
Please let the staff know if you have a history of cold sores/fever blisters PRIOR to treatment so an anti-viral medication can be prescribed. Treatment can not be done if you have an active cold sore or skin infection and will be rescheduled.
Day of Treatment:
If this is your FIRST treatment, we ask that you arrive 30 min prior for photos and to make sure consents are signed.
We ask that you do not wear any make-up or lotion on the area being treated.
Patients may take Tylenol (acetaminophen) 30 minutes prior to their treatment, although, this is usually unnecessary. Do NOT take aspirin or high dosages of ibuprofen due to their blood thinning effect resulting in increased redness, swelling and bruising.
It is normal for the skin to looked flushed or have mild swelling post treatment. It is very rare to develop a blister, however, you can apply an antibiotic ointment, Polysporin, twice daily until it resolves.
- Avoid using an ice pack to maximize treatment response.
- A non-exfoliant cleaner and a light moisturizer can be used the day of treatment. Normal skin care can be resumed the next day.
- Avoid waxing and/or tweezing on the treated area for about 3 days post treatment, as this can cause irritation.
- Make-up can be applied immediately post treatment.
- Daily activities can be resumed but please avoid saunas, hot tubs, and steam rooms post treatment. Mild intensity exercise is fine.
- Avoid products with retinol, glycolic, salyclic, benzoyle peroxide, hydroquinone, and Vitamin C serums for 3 days post treatment.
- Chemical Peels, Botox, Dypsort, and dermal fillers can be done one week post treatment.
- An SPF 30 sunblock with zinc oxide will be applied post treatment. Its important to wear sunblock daily and during the course of your treatment to maximize results and minimize.
- A skin care regimen will be suggested by our staff to enhance the results of your treatment and minimize complications.